Whether you’re in a long-distance relationship, living your best single life, or just aren’t in a relationship right now… being surrounded by constant reminders that it’s a national holiday to honor couples and allow them to be extra sappy and loving can be tough.
But I’m here to tell you that it doesn’t have to be! If you’re going to be alone this year for Valentine’s Day, take some time to make it an amazing day for yourself. Because you deserve it!
Instead of being sad and feeling lonely or just trying to ignore the day altogether, here are some fun things you can do alone on Valentine’s Day to make it an amazing day (regardless of if you have a valentine or not). Because it’s never a bad day to pamper yourself and do something that makes you feel good about yourself!
1. Buy a small bouquet of flowers. Either for yourself or for a friend or member of your family, or do both! Just because you don’t have a Valentine to buy you flowers, doesn’t mean you don’t deserve them! You can just pick some up from a grocery store or drugstore and put them in a nice vase and it’ll boost your mood. Plus, it never hurts to surprise someone close to you with a few flowers!
2. Pamper yourself. Buy yourself a new face mask you’ve been wanting to try and some new bubble bath or bath bombs. Apply your face mask, then light a candle and take a relaxing bath while it soaks in. Then when you get out, lather up in your favorite moisturizer. Nothing is more soothing than a bath and fresh, revitalized skin. If you’re looking for some recommendations, check out the Glam Glow face masks from Sephora. They have masks to treat all your skin issues: dullness, acne, aging, dryness, and more. I use the Supermud clearing mask and the Flashmud brightening mask the most! Sephora sells smaller sizes of these products and you can always ask an associate for a few sample packets if you don’t want to spend too much money. As for moisturizers, I use organic coconut oil for everything. As a face moisturizer and body moisturizer (and hair mask once a week!), and it’s super cheap. I’ll lather up in the coconut oil and then put on my favorite Bath & Body Works body cream over it to seal in the moisture.
3. Make your favorite dinner. Or, find a fun new recipe on Pinterest you want to try and give it a shot. I’m sure it’ll be delicious and will instantly make you happier! Food always makes me happy 🙂 Also, put some of your favorite music on while you’re cooking — nothing too sappy though. Something upbeat that is guaranteed to lift your spirits. My personal favorite dinner to make is this recipe for Tomato Basil Pasta. I use Rigatoni instead of the shells just because of preference, and I add some sea scallops because they’re so yummy and easy to make, and I prefer it warm.
4. While you’re at it, don’t forget dessert. Buy or make your favorite treats. My go-to treat is always chocolate-covered strawberries and a nice dessert wine (I recommend an ice wine!) to pair with it.
5. Watch your favorite movie. Try to avoid anything too sappy and lovey. My recommendations would be something that has romance, but it isn’t the main focus of the story. Think: Legally Blonde, The Devil Wears Prada, Coyote Ugly, Cruel Intentions, etc. Or take a different route and go for a good psychological thriller like Gone Girl or The Girl on the Train. The possibilities are endless.
6. Read a Book. End your night by reading a few chapters of a book you’ve been meaning to start, or by finishing the book you’re in the middle of. This will help you unwind, as well as assist in your effort to avoid sitting on social media all night while lying in bed.
7. Meditate or Unwind. Once you’re ready to fall asleep, use a meditation app or sound machine to fall asleep to something pleasant and relaxing. I use Calm and have a yearly premium subscription (worth every cent!). It’s loaded with relaxing sounds, incredible meditations, and my personal favorite… sleep stories. These are essentially bedtime stories that you can play on your phone as you fall asleep. Definitely download and check it out if this is something you think would be helpful for you.
I hope these few suggestions help make this upcoming Valentine’s Day the best one yet! If you have any other recommendations to help make the day great, definitely comment below to share with others!